Integrating Biometrics with Smartcard Technology
Borer’s networked FUSION fingerprint reader provides the highest levels of secure authentication supporting multiple factors of authentication including:
- Card only
- Card plus Fingerprint
- Card plus PIN
- Card plus PIN and Fingerprint
On enrolment, the biometric template is stored on the card in an encrypted format. When the card is presented to the reader to gain access, the cardholder’s access credentials are first checked before a fingerprint template is read from the card’s memory. This is then checked against a live scan of the cardholder’s finger before granting access.
This approach is self contained and can be used where network access to the Access Identity Management database is missing by design or because of a LAN failure.
The FUSION Biometric Reader provides the system operator with a unique Identity Access Management approach that combines security, user convenience, cost-effective delivery and secure three factor authentication.
- Space for up to eight different biometric templates in the identity access card’s secure memory supporting a mix of biometric technologies.
- Secure biometric templates and cardholder details as cardholder data is fully encrypted using AES encryption.
- Support for an unlimited number of cardholders as biometric templates are read from the card carried by the cardholder and checked one to one with the live fingerprint.
- Independent of a central database providing biometric authentication even when the readers are working stand alone and disconnected from the network and database.
- ISO and ANSI formatted biometric fingerprint templates which ensure interoperability with other ISO and ANSI compliant sensors ensuring continuity of supply by eliminating dependency on any one sensor manufacturer.
- User programmable open format MIFARE® DESFire® cards which unlike systems that use propriety and exclusive formats, eliminates single supplier dependency and benefits the user with lower cost for replacement cards.
- Delivers the highest level of secure access authentication for access control applications.
- Address staff privacy concerns as biometric fingerprint templates are only stored in the memory of the card, which is held by the cardholder.
- Distributed intelligence enables biometric identities to be checked and access decisions to be made at the point of access.
- Dual database of cardholders and access profiles with a fall-back to the last known good database in the event of a data corruption as a result of an interruption in the database download.
- Futureproof with firmware updates downloaded directly to the reader over the LAN enabling new biometric sensor technology and new smartcard standards to be supported as and when they are introduced.
- Sensor technology: High-performance optical sensor (500 dpi) with false acceptance rate (FAR) up to 10-8
- Fingerprint technology: Compliance with ISO SC37 197994-2, ANSI/INCITS 378
- Smartcard technology: MIFARE® DESFire® (13.56mHz) ISO 14443A and 7816-4 standard cards/tokens
- Read range: Up to 80mm for MIFARE® and 40mm for MIFARE® DESFire®
- Network connections: Controller Area Network (CAN), ISO 11898 standard for serial data communications
- Data retention without power: 10 years
- Cable type: CAT5e/6 Cable, max. cable length 300m from Midspan Bridge
- Operating temperature range: -25 to 60 C (-13 to 140 F)
- Power supply: 220mA quiescent, 300mA @ 12 Volts DC
- Dimensions/Weight: 130mm x 81mm x 43mm / 300g
- Installation range: Potted with rubber compound suitable for indoor installation
Download FUSION Biometric Fingerprint Reader PDF datasheet
For further information on any our products or an info pack, please use the Contact Form or call on +44 (0) 118 979 1137
MIFARE® and MIFARE® DESFire® are registered trademarks of NXP B.V. and are used under license. Borer Data Systems retains the rights to make changes to these specifications at any time, without notice.